Name: Be the Change
Dates: 9.03 – 17.03.2018
Venue: Durres, Albania
The project “Be the Change – Empowered Citizens, Empowered Communities” aims to increase capacity building of 10 partner organizations, and involve 55 youth workers in citizenship education in order to contribute to a working civil society across the national borders in Europe.
The general theme of the project is focused on Citizenship in general, European citizenship in particular and other concepts which associated it. Four dimensions of citizenship will be in focus of working agenda, concepts such as intercultural dialogue, migration, rights and responsibilities, cultural identity and how each of the above concepts is translated in concrete activities with young people.
- The promotion of active citizenship has become a key policy concern in youth work. The one of the long-standing cornerstones of practice has been to “empower” young people through active participation. Much of this work draws on a rights-based approach to working with young people.
- To explore four dimensions of citizenship (political, economical, cultural and social) for encouraging youth worker to take concrete action in society;
- To explore the meaning, relevance and implications of European citizenship in youth work in all its dimensions and in three main components (status, rights and responsibilities);
- To provide information to participants with the current talks on European Citizenship (its concepts, formal meanings and expressions);
- To bring concrete examples and the connection between European Citizenship, Human Rights, Democracy and Inter-Cultural Learning;
- To improve participants skills in citizenship education for young people with fewer opportunities and guide them to be agent of positive change in communities they live and to promote and use different programmes and structures in support of youth work on citizenship education, including Erasmus + Youth in Action programme;
The project outcomes will be presented to the policy makers, with the final aim of moving issues of particular concern to young people.
Activities & Methods
The project consists of different events and activities, making use of diverse methodologies so as to be approachable and of interest for citizens of various social, cultural, educational or economic backgrounds.
Activity during the project
Study visit – 15-12 January 2018 (successfully)
Training Course 9-17 March 2018
Youth Exchange 22-29 may 2018
The project will see implementation of 3 separate mobilities for youth work practitioners taking place in Albania. All mobilities will use non-formal education methods such as ice-breakers and energizers, team building exercises, small group discussions, role-plays, and individual reflection, feedback and evaluation activities.
About the training
In the training we aim to explore the three interrelated aspects of citizenship: status, rights and responsibilities combined with four dimensions of citizenship: political, social, economic and cultural. We all share the same values as Europeans and all should be responsible as citizens for constructing a democratic society and for the present and the future development of Europe where everyone’s dignity and rights should be respected.
The training course will provide a platform for youth workers from EU and non-EU countries to learn how young people can take an active role on local, regional, and international level and to have their voice heard regarding current European challenges. In the training we aim to explore the three interrelated aspects of citizenship: status, rights and responsibilities combined with four dimensions of citizenship: political, social, economic and cultural. Increasingly, young people demonstrate “activity” through volunteering, engagement with public services and democratic participation.
Non-formal education that we will use during the TC shall raise better understanding about being active citizen, diversity, tolerance, human rights and shall increase the capacity of young people to work as multiplier in their country; to consolidate the experience that already exist and develop new ideas and practices.
TC will be used different exercises combination of individual and team work, learner-centered ways, theoretical inputs and exercises. At the same time, we will leave space for them to act, to practice what they will learn.
Other methods used: debate, small working groups, role play, brainstorming, individual reflection, short videos, wall writing etc. Every participant will reflect on learning outcomes of the day, reflect on knowledge they gained, skills they improved and attitudes and share with other participants and trainers.
During the project we will collect examples of good practice in European citizenship training – this will inform our outputs (European Citizenship Good Practice Guide for Western Balkans).
- age above 18
- to be motivated and interested in the topic
- able to attend and be active during the entire duration of the training course
- able to communicate in English
- willing to share their experience with CID
ACCOMMODATION and FINANCES:
All costs related to accommodation and food will be covered by the hosting organization.
Travel costs will be reimbursed up to 180 EUR on the spot when presenting all the original tickets and invoices.
Deadline: 1 March 2018